[PAKISTAN]. Fine Original Watercolour of the Dog's Teeth Rocks, the Murree Hills. The Punjab: Ca., 1880.
Single sheet (5 x 10 inches). Fine watercolour of the Dog's Teeth Rocks in the Murree Hills in the Punjab, captioned by the artist in pencil in the mount "The dog's Teeth from the fort".
A narrow spur from the Murree hills, made of ridges of vertically embedded sandstone known as the Dog's Tooth rocks, crosses open country to the south of Rawalpindi, which connect it with the southern side of the Khairi Murat. Murree Hills was a hill fort during the British occupation of India, a summer resort then and now, and now the administrative centre of Murree Tehsil in Pakistan, which is a subdivision of Rawalpindi District. Rawalpindi, now a large city near Islamabad in Pakistan in the northernmost part of the Punjab province, strategically located between the Northwest Frontier Province and Kashmir. Following the British takeover of the region in 1849, the city became a permanent garrison of the British army in 1851, and by the end of the 19th-century, when this watercolour was painted Rawalpindi was the headquarters of the Northern Command and the city became one of the largest and most important of the British garrisons in British India. After the independence of Pakistan in 1947, the minority Hindus and Sikhs migrated to India while the Muslim refugees from India settled in the Rawalpindi.