LAHAURIE MERITORIO, Joseph. Plano del puerto de la Ysla de Roatán cituado en la parte del S. y E. de ella. Cadiz: Escuela de Navegación, 1786
Single sheet (12 x 17 inches; 11 2/8 x 16 5/8 inches to the neat line). A FINE MANUSCRIPT MAP OF THE ISLAND OF ROATAN IN THE CARIBBEAN: "Plano del puerto de la Ysla de Roatán cituado en la parte del S. y E. de ella, el centro de esta ysla se halla en lattd. N. 16 gs. y 24 ms. y en longd. 289 gs. 6 ms., meridiano de Thenerife, siendo su extension de 14 leguas, havitada por los Basallos de S.M.B. y fue vendiada por los Armas de S.M.C. al mando del Mariscal de Campo y Capitan General de la Provincia de Goatemala Dn. Mathias de Galvez en 17 de marzo de 1782", pen and black and red ink with watercolour wash, the title and explanation inset upper left, with a scale along the top edge, and decorated with a fine compass rose, signed by Lahaurie Meritorio at the end of the note, and drawn under the supervision of Don Pedro Rivelles, Master Draftsman, at the School of Navigation in Cadiz.
An early manuscript map, drawn by Joseph Lahaurie Meritorio of the Navigation School in Cadiz, of the the principal harbor of Roatán Island, one of the Isles de la Bahia, off the Caribbean Coast of Honduras, which the note indicates was inhabited by British subjects, until it was seized by Spanish arms on March 17, 1782. The detailed depiction of the coastline, includes coastal features, soundings, navigational hazards, anchorages, fortifications, houses, and a settlement; the remains of a castle on a small island are shown abandoned by the English, comprising houses which served as a gunpowder store and a limehouse. A navigational guide to the heavily fortified town and harbour of Port Royal. The main entrance to the port is marked 'G' between two rocky reefs, where the depth of water and sand is sufficient for any type of vessel to pass through safely, other entrance channels are marked, together with sandbanks, beaches and rocks to be avoided.
The Spanish had evacuated the Bay Islands in 1650, leaving the way open for pirates and Port Royal became their base until the middle of the 18th century, from where they launched assaults on ships and mainland settlements. The port was also home to British troops, who built two forts, in the years following the war between Spain and England in 1739. The island was handed back to the Spanish in 1748 as part of the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle, the last settlers deserting the island in 1751.
Meritorio is the author of three maps held in the Library of Congress.
In 1507 Spain's King Ferdinand established the office of the Piloto Mayor in the Casa de Contratación in Seville to collect and compile the latest geographical and cartographical information from all voyages of discovery since Columbus' 1492 voyage to America. At the time Spain was at the forefront of accumulating knowledge of the emerging world, and "no evidence of this careful description of portions of the world is more compelling than that of ...the extensive mapping of Spanish areas of influence by the Real Escuela de Navegación in the eighteenth century... The maps produced under the auspices of the Real Escuela de Navegación, Cadiz, Spain were intended to provide Spanish pilots and navigators with the latest information available about navigational hazards, characteristics of the water bottom, and distinguishing features of coastal sites and relief. As such, these maps had to be as accurate as possible...it is probable that the Real Escuela de Navegación was established in the mid-eighteenth century to ensure the accuracy and consistency of maps produced for naval and commercial shipping and to house the growing record of maps and charts related to Spain's vast empire.
"By and large, these maps reflect hydrographic and navigational concerns as they depict coastlines, coastal features, soundings, navigational hazards such as shoals and sandbanks, and the characteristics of the water bottom. Maps of this group were intended to help mariners and explorers to identify harbors, headlands, coastlines, and particular navigational hazards associated with those places. Although coastal towns, settlements, and relief are usually depicted, this group of maps tends to include little or no information about other interior features, such as Native American nations and settlements or the origins of interior streams. It is evident that the maps were intended, as were the portolan charts that preceded them, to provide navigational information in order to assist military and commercial shipping to reach safely intended destinations. With some exceptions, most of these maps are clear and crisp and have a spareness that lends an abstract quality to them. Some also have elaborate cartouches and wind roses that add to their elegance. Among the reasons for expanded Spanish mapping in the eighteenth century were perceived military threats, increased marine trade and commerce, scientific expeditions, and the expansion in the number of ports in Spain and in its empire that was open exclusively to Spanish trade. Previous to the mid-eighteenth century, all shipping to and from Spain was controlled as a matter of state policy. Ships were allowed to sail from only a handful of designated Iberian ports, specifically, Cadiz, Seville, and La Coruña, and were permitted to enter an equally limited number of ports in the Americas and in Asia, specifically, Havana, Vera Cruz, Cartagena, Portobelo, Acapulco, and Manila" (John R. Hébert & Anthony P. Mullan for the Library of Congress online).