GEORG BRAUN & FRANS HOGENBERG, Duacum (Douai), 1572 or later.
GEORG BRAUN & FRANS HOGENBERG
Duacum Catuacorum Urbs
Cologne: Frans Hogenberg, 1572 or later
Copperplate engraving with original hand-color
Paper size: 15 3/4" x 20 1/2"
- bird's-eye view plan of Douai by Braun and Hogenberg.
TRANSLATION OF CARTOUCHE TEXT: Duacum, town of the Catuaci, most beautifully embellished by its appearance, its inhabitants and a university.
COMMENTARY BY BRAUN: "Douai, situated on the border of Flanders, Hainaut and Artois, is such a well-built and well-fortified city thanks to its thick ring walls that its equal is hard to find. [...] The city has an extremely good system of government, which distinguished it from other cities. They recognize the king as their supreme regent; in addition, as a result of the admirable wisdom of their ancestors, they appoint two mayors, one of whom presides over the magistrate, while the other is responsible for civic matters. Both offices are hereditary.."
Douai on the River Scarpe, is seen in a bird's-eye view from the east. The narrow streets are outlined in a schematic fashion by uninterrupted chains of houses. This schematic style of illustration also extends to the churches and other major buildings, including the town hall with its lofty belfry and the largest carillon in Europe; the Porte de Valenciennes in the east; the nearby Gothic church of Notre-Dame; Douai's oldest church, the Collegiale Saint-Pierre; and lastly the Gothic church of Saint-Jacques in the west. Douai passed to Burgundy in 1384 and to the Spanish Netherlands in 1477.
Cartographer: Jacob van Deventer