F.V. Hayden. Part of Central Wyoming. 1883.
“Part of Central Wyoming.”
From Twelfth Annual Report of the United States Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories.
22 3/4 x 33 3/8.
Lithograph by Julius Bien & Co.
In 1867, Congress established the Geological and Geographical Survey of the Territories. Originally just focused on Nebraska, it soon expanded to cover all the territories around the Rocky Mountains. Dr. Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden was appointed geologist in charge and he led the surveys and issued reports between 1867 and 1883, including information on the geography, geology, ethnology and many other scientific subjects. His surveys were a landmark in the history of the exploration and documentation of the American West. This map is of particular interest as it shows the South Pass and has markings for the “Old Emigrant Road” and “Old Wagon Road.”