COLLOT, Georges Henri Victor (1751-1805). Voyage dans l'Amerique Septentrionale, ou descriptions des pays arroses par le Mississipi, l'Ohio, le Missouri et autres rivieres affluentes
COLLOT, Georges Henri Victor (1751-1805). Voyage dans l'Amerique Septentrionale, ou descriptions des pays arroses par le Mississipi, l'Ohio, le Missouri et autres rivieres affluentes. Atlas.Paris: Arthus Bertrand, 1826.
Folio (13 x 9 4/8 inches). Letterpress title-page (small closed tear) and "explanation des planches" in French. 11 fine folding engraved maps, 14 engraved plans, and 11 engraved plates (8 views, 3 figures of native Americans), all engraved by Tardieu (one or two repairs to verso of folds, on or two spots). Modern calf backed 19th-century marbled boards (lacking free endpapers); modern brown morocco backed cloth clamshell box.
Provenance: Ink library stamps of the French Ministry of Agriculture on the title-page and last plate.
The RARE atlas volume to accompany Collot's account of his extensive survey of the Louisiana region, including his celebrated map on three sheets of the Ohio River: "The beautifully executed map of the Ohio River [on three sheets] depicts vividly the wilderness that this country was at the time of his journey" (Wagner-Camp).
Collot's reconnaissance mission to the Mississippi valley was the brainchild of Pierre Auguste Adet (1763-1834), French ambassador to the United States. He was to report of the political, economic and military situation in the region, in anticipation of the reacquisition of Louisiana by France from Spain. Because of the Louisiana Purchase, however, the "work was printed, both in French ... and English, but not published, at the time of Gen. Collot's death, which happened in 1805. More than twenty years afterwards, the whole impression came into the hands of M. Bertrand, an eminent publisher in Paris, who reserved 100 copies of the English and 300 of the French edition, and made waste paper of the remainder" (Rich, Bibliotheca Americana Nova, 2: p. 185). Howes C-601; Sabin 14460; Wagner-Camp 31a. Catalogued by Kate Hunter