ADRIEN DE MONTIGNY (FRENCH, C1570-1615) Givet Cartouche: “Villages des deulx Geives” Watercolor and gouache on vellum
ADRIEN DE MONTIGNY (FRENCH, C1570-1615) Givet Cartouche: “Villages des deulx Geives” Watercolor and gouache on vellum 1596 - 1598 Vellum size: 20 1⁄2 x 15 1⁄4 in.. Frame size: 26 x 21 in.
When Adrien Montigny observed Givet from the hills of Clarlemont, it actually consisted of two large and separate villages, Givet Saint-Hilaire in the foreground and Givet Notre-Dame in the background, on the other side of the Meuse river. Together the two had a relatively important position both commercially and strategically.
In the foreground, at right, one ca discern a round tower of the fortress of Charlemont, built fourteen years before on the order of Charles V. Below is Givet Saint-Hilaire, extending along the banks of Meuse. The first build- ing visible at the right is a fortress-like gate to the town, with two tall round towers, capped by conical roofs. To the left of the gate is the church of Saint-Hilaire, which burned down in 1675.Beyond the Meuse, which is teeming with boats bearing wine, grainm and other commercial goods, is Givet Notre-Dame. Because of the risk of flood, the town was further from the riverbank. Givet Notre-Dame was more of a commercial center than Givet Saint -Hilaire, and here appears somewhat more densely populated. In the foreground the artist placed a hunting scene.